Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Girl's English Club

by Grace

Emily, Courtney, and Grace



Just the thought of starting an English club here in Italy was overwhelming. How are we going to even have anyone to invite - let alone get them to come bi-weekly to just speak English to us? But Emily, Courtney (another staff girl here) and I felt strongly that that is exactly what God wanted us to do…to be in that difficult position where we rely on Him, to do something we don’t really feel comfortable doing. We knew we had to listen to Him! 

The three of us got together for our first official meeting. We discussed what we wanted to do, who we wanted to invite, how we were going to get them to come, etc.

We decided we wanted it to be just girls, because it would be a more comfortable environment. We invited them through Facebook (Courtney already knew some girls from going to school when she was younger)… Facebook is a great tool people!!!

Every other week a group of Italian teenage girls sit across from Emily, Courtney, and me waiting eagerly to hear what crazy American traditions and words we’ll teach them. Our normal schedule is: a game, food (Americana of course!), and then some sort of discussion in English. We have taught them Telephone Pictionary, Never have I ever, and my favorite, English phrases that don’t make any sense!! “The early bird gets the worm”, “Break a leg”, “Smart as a whip” are just a few examples. You should have seen their faces when we tried to explain these things to them!

We have a lot of fun with these girls. Sometimes our clubs are great, and sometimes we feel as though we failed. But we know God is working. We go into each week with lots of prayer and planning. God keeps giving us new ideas, and it always surprises me. “Yay God!” (as a good friend says).

The best part of this whole thing for me has been God showing Himself to me in incredible ways. Not only just the relationships with these Italian girls, and not just having our English club pull through each week (only by God), but how HE is growing ME.

It truly amazes me watching Him work here. He has been working in me more than I could have ever expected. Even in only about four months God has shown me things from His word and His world and His people that have grown me so much. I'm told Italy will strip me of everything but Jesus, and I want that. I want to only desire Him.

More than anything, God has been teaching me patience and humility. These things that I wouldn't have learned in America, not in the same way, anyway. He is humbling me to know there is no way I can do this on my own. He is teaching me patience in learning the culture, language, and earning relationships with these Italian people. I feel closer to God than I ever have because of having to trust Him more than ever. I am so thankful.

Our hope is to eventually make our English club evangelistic, as of now… we are building relationships, because as some of you know, that’s what Italians are about: relationships… oh, and then food! (Seriously).

We would love prayer for these girls’ hearts to be softened and for God to completely shine through us so they can see His love. Also for our strength to keep up with this, and to trust and rely on Jesus. We couldn’t do this without your prayer, so thank you!

God is showing His faithfulness to me… and for that I’m truly thankful.

7 comments:

  1. You and Em don't know me, but I've known your dad since before you were born. I just wanted to tell you how totally amazing and awesome you are. Your stories, pictures, blogs, experiences remind me of going to school in Spain over 30 years ago. We continue to pray for God to bless you and protect you in this amazing adventure. We are so proud of all of you and I can only imagine how proud your parents are of you two!!

    xoxo
    Eileen & Larry Eimermannn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like" oh my gosh!"...totally cool....like...you need to teach them valley girl talk....its totally rad!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome Grace! I will definately be praying for this group! Im very glad to hear you are getting this club started! That is so great! It is also great to see God really usuing you! God bless! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! It is wonderful hearing about what God is doing. I will pray! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So inspiring that you are being lead and are being obedient to what God is prompting you to do! Go girls! Love it! Have a Great Thanksgiving by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to be willing to serve and to be out of your comfort zone! I hope that u girls stick with it; souls could be saved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got to see your mom yesterday and heard about the family Blog....I am excited to read all of it and thouroughly enjoyed this piece about your English club!
    Like, agree with (Joel) the valley girl lingo, "like" it is atleast every other word out of one of my daughters mouth!!
    Haley's mom, Tamra Litz

    ReplyDelete