Monday, August 30, 2010

Running in Fiesole...with Hunters!

One of the very cool benefits of NOT living in the center of Florence, but up the hill in Fiesole, is running out the back door! Our road is Via Portigiani, which turns into a rather rural, semi-paved road that meanders through olive groves, and all manner of foliage. This morning was a rare-for-August, almost cool day I relished - mostly because of the lesser flying bug population...
We live on Via Portigiani

This is our back door

This what our road turns into in about 7 minutes of running

About 12 minutes into one fine jaunt, I heard a man hollerin up a storm. Suddenly on my right, in the dense, green shrubbery, I saw three or four older gentlemen donning fluorescent orange vests, and bearing arms! Like shotgun arms!


This is my running trail...by grape vines, olive groves, and orange guys hunting...

Running by, I gasped, "Giorno!". Startled, they looked at me like,"You're not a cinghiale!" Yes, that's right, I'm not a wild boar! I, on occasion, look more boarish, than at other times. I usually do have some sort of facial hair, my teeth are large, and there is a significant overbite...but that's about all that resembles a cinghiale (no comments, please...).

At 27 minutes I turned around to run back to Via Portigiani. Then I thought, I have to run back by the orange guys with shots guns...

This doesn't happen in the OC. Quite an adventure today...Thank You, Lord!

1 comment:

  1. Mark, love your constant positive spirit, and updates. You are missed. Make a differance.

    Chet

    ReplyDelete