Friday, June 3, 2011

Evangelism @ 35,000 Feet



So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom
Psalm 90:12


Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time
Colossians 4:5



The flight from Portland to OC was not full. My usual back-of-the-plane-on-the-aisle seat was screaming, “Nap”! Exhausted, my bobbing eyelids were ready to settle in the down position when I heard, “Are you a good talker?” Stunned into wakefulness, I saw the young woman’s hand stretched out to shake mine.

Admittedly, my first thought was fleshly, as my body really, really didn’t want to exert the effort of conversation.


“Yes, I am”, escaped from my mouth, as more of a question than a statement, as I reached for her hand of greeting. As I stood to allow her to get to her window seat, it was obvious she had been drinking.


“I’m just really nervous and afraid to die. Can you help me? Can you talk to me?”, was her desperate plea. Let’s call this young woman Frieda.


Holy Spirit, please fill me again to do Your bidding in this conversation, was my quick but ardent prayer.


Long story short, our conversation went ‘round and ‘round as we discussed her “goodness”, God’s grace, sin, love, judgment, heaven, hell, etc. No matter how many times I tried to convince Frieda that her “goodness” wasn’t the point – that she needed perfection – she kept coming back to how good she was compared to others she knew. Frieda was also weeping uncontrollably and speaking very loudly, as ethanol took control of her brain.


As I looked into her glazed eyes, I recalled a couple of Scriptures from 1 Cor. 1 and 2:


“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Cor. 1:18


and

“The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.” 1 Cor. 2:14


No matter how many times I stuck to the essence of the Gospel:


Substitution - Jesus’ death on the cross satisfies the wrath of God for all those who would place their trust in Him


and


Imputation - Jesus imputes (or, gives) His righteousness to all those who would place their trust in Him…


Frieda kept insisting on her “goodness” as meritorious of heaven.


The things of the Gospel are spiritually discerned, writes the inspired Paul. Unless and until the Holy Spirit enables spiritual discernment, the Gospel is folly. This fact does not release us from trying to persuade (2 Cor. 5:11) for the Gospel.


Finally, near the end of our flight, Frieda asked quite loudly with tears (i.e., so everyone within 5-6 rows could easily hear her), “So, what you’re saying is, if I don’t turn from my current lifestyle and believe/receive that Jesus died for my sins, I’m going to hell?”


“No, Freida, that what Jesus is saying, and he’s God.”


I reviewed these verses with her:


Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” John 14:6


“And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Peter in Acts 4:12


Please pray with me that Frieda will receive the materials I’ll get to her through a mutual friend (small world), and actually read/view them. Pray also that the Words of God do their soul piercing work (Heb. 4:12).


Also, I WOULD LOVE to hear your stories of personal evangelism! If you have a chance, jot a comment here, or if you prefer privacy, email a story of two to me. I’m certain others would be helped to hear other stories of Christ’s ambassadors making God’s appeal for reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:20).


Pressing on, together for the Gospel,


mark

6 comments:

  1. Mark, I LOVE how God knows your heart to share the gospel, and your willingness to be obedient to do so ...even when you are exhausted! Not only this woman, but everyone within earshot got to hear the truth! WOW! Maybe this woman wasn't the only target of the gospel, but God used her as the magaphone! Got is amazing...

    I will be praying for ALL who heard the gospel on that flight, including "Frieda," and I know that He indeed is at work in the hearts of those he chose to hear the truth on that flight.

    Love your heart for Christ and evangelism, brother! You inspire me to be bolder!

    Blessed to be His,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to talk with a geology professor on my way home from Hawaii a few years back. We talked philosophically for a while. He was a professing atheist, with disdain and a lot of brains. It was quite intimidating. Yet as the plain started its decent, he told me with palpable excitement about his theory that all human beings (who have consciences unlike the animals) are actually the recreation of stars that have died. Wow. That sure opened my eyes to his folly and inability to discern heavenly things. There I was all intimidated as I shared truth with him, and yet I was the one with the truth and thus the power for salvation. I wished I had remembered all the things you just shared. I couldn't help but think of him reading what you wrote. I wonder what became of him. There was one glimmer of hope during our conversation when I watched his arrogant confidence fade. I said to him, "your logic is faulty because it is based on the presupposition that there is no and cannot be a God". I hadn't gotten very far in understanding that kind of evangelism so I had nothing to say along those lines after that, but the look of fear on his face... It gave me hope. Thanks for sharing this and encouraging us to share. I constantly forget that the people all around me are dangling periously over the pit of damnation and destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. test, sorry, gotta figure something out

    ReplyDelete
  4. CL,

    Your story reminds me of a time Grace and I were laying over for a delayed flight @ SFO. There were lots of annoyed people in the crowded end of the terminal.

    We are going to Arcata to run in the Avenue of the Giants (redwoods in Norcal). This is the city Humbolt State Univ. is located.

    I was returning from the men's room to where I left Grace near our gate, to see a man about my age speaking to her. As I approached it was clear he was not sober (what is it with me and drunk people travelling?!). I sat down firmly and greeted the drunk guy. He was slightly annoyed that I got between him and my gorgeous daughter.

    The man leaned forward to address Grace, "Where did you get peace? There is peace all over you.". Grace said that she knows the Prince of Peace. "Who's dat?" he slurred.

    Long story short, we shared the essentials of the Gospel with this guy for quite some time. His objections were familiar, and LOUD (as the woman above).

    There were a couple of Humbolt profs sitting nearby. One of them was staring at the loud drunk guy. Almost intelligibly, the drunk dude says to the prof, "Wutchu lookin at?!"

    Caught offgaurd, the PhD of something says, "Woah, take it easy man, I totally agree with everything you're saying!"

    Stunned, I looked at the prof in utter wonder thinking, "But you didn't even hear MY side of the conversation". Too educated for both sides of the dialogue...

    Needless to say, I sent the drunk guy an email asking to continue our conversation electronically, but never heard back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sorta remember that story, but I don't remember the part about the professor. I like the parallel because the first guy was obviously unable to see and hear clearly because of being drunk, while the other guy, who was supposed to be so smart and learned and was sober, was just as blind and deaf. Thanks for taking the time to figure out a way to tell me the story :)

    ReplyDelete