Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Main Thing

An old friend from my days @ The Center for Sports & Wellness @ Mission Hospital posted this image on her Facebook page. I'm not sure what she meant by it, but this image gripped me for the Gospel. The Gospel IS the Main Thing. If we don't get the Gospel, nothing else really matters. The Apostle Paul kept The Main Thing, The Main Thing when he wrote:

"The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost." 1 Tim. 1:15

Pretty clear. Jesus was born to save sinners. That's you and me.

Lots of folks want to sell the Jesus that will improve your marriage, or make your kids obey, or provide you with health, wealth, and happiness. The line is: "add Jesus to your life and everything will be just fine". The problem with that 'gospel' is


  1. Everything is not fine, and


  2. An improved life in not the Main Thing

So, what's the Main Thing, Mark? Thanks for asking...


Rather than typing a bunch of statements and Bible verses for you to read here, I'll invite you to click here http://sharetheumbrella.org/ to view and listen to a 4-minute animated "Main Thing" presentation. It's called the Umbrella Analogy, and was created by our pastor @ http://www.compasschurch.org/. Simple. Succinct. Serious.


If any of you ever want to talk about the Main Thing with me, I'm always available. I will speak the truth in love, your job is to decide what you're going to do with The Main Thing.









3 comments:

  1. Hello Mayers family! F.Y.I. The image above posted by your Facebook friend contains a well-known quote from Pastor C.J. Mahaney. Its about keeping the cross the main thing in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mayers, I love keeping up with your Italian adventures! My church (Riverview in Holt, MI) just did a series entitled "The Main Thing", you should check it out! http://rivchurch.com/grow/weekend-services/messages/
    In the SERIES pull down menu click on The Main Thing.

    Juleen Kenney
    http://juleen76.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Krista,
    I know a few Kristas...which one is this?
    Love C.J.! He is one passionate preacher!

    Hey Juleen,
    From FB, looks like you and marito (husband) are well. Thanks for following/praying for us!

    Grace Abounds!
    m

    ReplyDelete