Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Keeping the Home Fires Burning

By Leslie



Very Cool Fireplace...in the Kitchen


I have always heard that saying, but suddenly I have a real understanding of what that means.... See, on Saturday I had a bunch of wood delivered by Dino - the wood guy. I was able to get a poker and that little shovel thingy at the open market in the piazza the same day. I am so thankful to have this GIANT fireplace that is basically almost one whole wall of our dining area. It is all open so that when you light the fire it’s just in there almost like a campfire. BUT... its really hard to get going (where’s the little key that turns on the gas??) so that once I get it going and start doing other things around the house, I am always walking by and poking and blowing and adding more wood. I am “keeping the home fire buring!!” I dunno, this just made me laugh today. It was a very fall day today - more like it would be in the winter in the OC! Emily and I made pumpkin muffins from scratch.... like, ALL the way from scratch... like, from a raw pumpkin!! Those of you who know me well know that this is amazing.

Today I had to meet up with my friend, Kylie, to work on some stuff for Magdalena. We get to attend a pastor’s meeting on Wednesday morning to pitch them on our idea for a distribution of the film at Christmas. Anyway, I took the usual bus down the hill but since the lady in front of me on the bus was spitting up on the floor at regular intervals, I decided to get off early and enjoy the long walk to the office. And I really do enjoy the walking - so many interesting people and things to see.


But this morning, I was faced with quite the dilemma. First of all, you have to know that the sidewalks here are only about 3 feet wide, and not at all flat. So, I'm walking along and suddenly have a choice to make - step into the street in front of a car, run over a little old lady with a cane, step in the dog pee that is running from the wall across the sidewalk, or walk straight into the cloud of smoke that has just poured forth from some guy’s cigarette.... I mean, how often do I have such decisions to make in America?? LOVE this place!! I know you are dying to know.... I chose the smoke.


Kylie and I had a productive meeting, and split a pizza from my now favorite pizza place. Please pray for me as I am going to try to greet the pastors on Wednesday morning with a tiny bit of Italian. What an interesting life!!

Em and Grace Celebrated their 17th and 15th Birthdays a couple weeks ago



Sketchy Electrical Stuff...We rarely blow stuff up anymore, though!

5 comments:

  1. I am SO proud of you Leslie!! Sounds like you're making good choices and having a Godly woman attitude about learning new things. I'm praying for Papa God to continue blesin you my dear young lady, and keep writing!! much love from our house to your casa??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comment, Harriet! Leslie is the most Christ-like person I have ever known. We are celebrating 25 years of Holy Marriage this coming May 24, and we are more in (self-sacrificing) love than ever!

    We love you all too,
    m, for the fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally would have taken the dog pee, just sayin! It sounds like the gospel is making progress through you guys, praise God! Miss you guys!!!

    Love, Hunter Adamske

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your blog! What a blessing to be used of the Lord in such a beautiful place. What an experience.
    (by the way...was that a spider on the wall in that last picture?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your note Hunter! Hope Master's is all you hoped it would be and more. Em is applying right now!

    Hey Shannon, good to "hear" your voice...thanks for your encouraging note...yes, it's a spider :)

    ReplyDelete